Monday, November 29, 2004

FILM: The Hours

I'm still trying to figure out The Hours. So far this is what I think the movie is about. It's about life and death, selfishness, longing, abandonment, fulfilment, and probably more... The movie is a parade of emotions. Deeply-felt emotions. I was so impressed by how accurately emotions were represented. I could relate to each character, the circumstances they were facing, and the emotions they were grappling with. The emotions were so raw, grand and intense. You come out of the movie feeling emotionally drained, and depressed.

Nicole Kidman was superb in her role as Virginia Woolf. I was blown away by her talented performance. Her segment of this cinematic tryptich was the film's strongest. The scene at the train station between her character and her husband was extremely moving. I related practically to everything she said, and I would have weeped if I was watching it alone. The emotions she conveyed were so powerful.

Julianne Moore's 1950's housewife character is a bit of a mystery. You can't really tell what she's going through because she doesn't say much, but it's all there in the face. Julianne Moore has a way of delivering profound, subtle performances. Just watch her in Far From Heave (an EXCELLENT film). She embodies "less is more." I love Julianne Moore, and I'm a huge fan of hers so I enjoyed her scenes.

The story that involves Meryl Streep was my least favorite. I didn't find it as interesting. However, there is this one incredible scene where she breaks down in the kitchen in front of someone she doesn't know very well and that really struck an emotional chord with me. Meryl Streep is such a friggin' gifted actress. I can't comprehend how she effortlessly acts out these incredibly complex emotions in such a realistic manner.

The highlight of the movie was the musical score by Phillip Glass. Never cared for Glass until now. His music intensifies the emotions that emanate from the screen. I was absolutely mesmerized by the soundtrack. The music is what carries the film. If it weren't for the electrifying music this movie would not have received half the accolades it has received.

All in all, this movie asks, Who are you living for? What are you living for? How are you going to live your life? It's exhausting to think about it.

::4 stars::