Thursday, December 02, 2004

SEE: Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)

Best damn movie of the year, and we barely reached the halfway mark of 2004. It was way better than I expected. I'm not too fond of sequels but this one takes the cake. Maybe it's because it didn't seem like a sequel. It was simply the latter half of a super great movie. It's films like this that remind me why I love the movies so much. It was just so fun to watch. Gripping story with visually engaging scenes. That fight scene between Uma Thurman and Daryl Hannah was the best choreographed cat fight in American movie history. It was hilarious. Down and dirty fighting between two chicks who know how to fight. I bet the boys enjoyed it.


Got to hand it to Uma Thurman. She was quite abused in this film. I think Quentin Tarantino has this love-hate thing going on with Uma. He also apparently has a foot fetish.


David Carradine did a knock-out job as Bill. Another oldie-but-goodie revived by QT (I wonder which actor's dead-as-a-doornail career he will resurrect next?). He embodied Bill with zen-like creepiness and charisma. Everytime his character showed up on screen the hairs on my skin would stand up because you know that this ruthless, chilling psycho-bastard is capable of perpetrating any sadistic act imaginable. Yet he wins you over with his beguiling charm. You almost wish that The Bride would quit her quest for vengeance and live happily ever after with Bill. The scenes that he and Uma share are flawlessly executed. I didn't want to blink in fear that I might miss out on some miniscule but crucial detail. Who would have ever thought to pair up those two? It was a stroke of genius on QT's part. Another thing I admire about QT: he has balls and is not afraid of doing whatever he damn well pleases no matter how questionable. He's one director who's not looking over his shoulder.


I did find some scenes a little too talkative. But I think it's just because in this day and age we've all been fed one too many action-heavy flicks with meaningless, pithy chatter.


What I love about QT is that he loves movies and it shows in his filmmaking. It's fun to recognize the allusions to various film genres. The dialogue: exquisitely corny and over-the-top. I quite admire the way QT writes his movie with abandon and the shameless characters he constructs. They all have their unique style and attitude. Plus, QT is an awesome storyteller.


Can't wait until the DVD comes out so I can watch both volumes in one sitting, or better yet see it in its entirety on the big screen.



::5 stars::