Thursday, December 02, 2004

EAT: The Counter

There's been a lot of buzz about this Santa Monica burger joint. So of course, I had to check it out for myself.

The idea of the place is that you build your own burger. Each person is given a cute little chart with a checklist of options for you to customize your burger. You check off your type of meat or non-meat (in my case), bun, vegetables, sauce, and cheeses. Cool idea eh?

I ordered the pickle chips (battered pickles deep-fried) and my friend ordered a fries with gravy (yech, I think it's a Canadian thing). The pickle chips were not what I thought they were going to be. I was expecting them to be thinner and crispier. Nonetheless, they were a tasty novelty. As for the fries, I've had better. Nothing beats McDonalds fries.

The burger I built was a disappointment. I couldn't taste anything. I ordered a veggie patty in a honey whole wheat bun with feta cheese, red onion, baby mixed greens, and olives with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette. I think the problem was the veggie patty (bland) and the sauce (flavorless). Or the problem may have been me. Maybe my tastebuds were tired...I've been eating out often.

Next time, I think I'm gonna try guacamole in my burger. Maybe that'll boost up the flavor factor.

And for you carb-conscious eaters, you can get a bunless burger in a bowl.

The Counter is a nice lookin, spacious place. Chic, clean decor that doesn't lean too much on the played out grungy 50's diner look. A plus is the parking lot in the back which is rare in SaMo.

2901 Ocean Park Blvd SantaMonica, CA 90405
Cross Street: 29th Street
Phone: (310) 399-8383

::3.5 stars::