Thursday, December 02, 2004

EAT: Silverlake Coffee Co.

SILVERLAKE has become a bit of a mythical place for me. A sort of bohemian Camelot. Ever since its gentrification (hence sending rent prices up and driving away the working class that lived there before), much ink has been spilled over this hip, happenin' neighborhood where all the cool, trendy people live now. The kind of crowd I saw myself rubbing shoulders with: graphic designers, writers, artists, musicians, etc. Naively, I imagine these quick-witted folks having hedonistic lives, eating great food at sordid dinner parties where highbrow conversations, with lots of colorful and smart vocabulary, flow, while sophisticated music floats in the background, promoting the smug ain't-I-so-cool attitude in all of us. Yeah right.


Nevertheless, I stood on the sidelines, wishing I can live in a neighborhood like Silverlake, where creative energy pulses through the walls infecting everyone inhabiting in between. Alas, part of this hipster populace, I will probably never be. They would most certainly all get on my nerves. And so insecure I'd be in their company that undoubtedly I will think I'm better than the whole lot put together - humph! But a girl can still dream, no? I'm such a shameless wannabe...


Anyway, I've driven through Silverlake countless of times by way of the reservoir but never dared to veer off my usual route to explore it, fearing that I would really fall in love with it and only be more frustrated by the fact that I can't live there. I know about its restaurants and music venues, but I've kept myself away. However...


This morning, after many years of reading about this neck of the woods, I finally ventured to my first Silverlake establishment. With a bit of trepidation, I must say. The venue: Silverlake Coffee Co. Again, I had read about this coffee shop recently. Their espresso banana ice blended drink came highly recommended. Since it was on my way, I decided to check it out.


Stepping in, I was welcomed by a clean, fairly bright interior. Already, there were a few customers sitting at the tables with their laptops. Writers, I figured. Wow, this early in the day? But I didn't hear any keys tapping. They were staring into space. Do I know that feeling, or what? The cunningly sassy cursor blinking, taunting, "I dare you..." Then, I put that sucker to work! Pardon my digression.


I ordered my espresso banana drink. For $3.50 you get transported to ice blended heaven. Now, I'm not huge fan of ice blended drinks but this concoction is quite the merrymaker. It seriously put me in a good mood. Euphoria for under $5? I'll take it!


Back in the car, my thoughts wandered back to those writers. What discipline, I thought, waking oneself early to write. It reminded me of the newly named poet laureate,Ted Kooser, who supposedly got up at 4:30 am every day to write before clocking in to work. Now I'm inspired to do the same. I always complain I have no time to write, so I'm going to make time to do so. Once I get my new fetching iBook (soon and very soon!), hopefully, it will motivate me to wake myself at an ungodly hour and drive myself over to Silverlake Coffee to type away (or stare into space). But I wonder, can I be creative that early in the morning? I'm usually inspired in the last 90 minutes of the day until my lids pull themselves shut. Well, we shall see what crazy ideas, if any, I come up with between sunrise and 8:30 a.m.


Silverlake Coffee Co. is open every day until 8pm. And best of all, there's an adjacent parking lot! Always a plus in L.A. Besides coffee and the usual carb spread of muffins, scones, and cakes, they also serve sandwiches.


2388 Glendale Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90039
South of Silver Lake Blvd.
323.913.0388

::5 stars::