Thursday, December 02, 2004

SEE: Beyond Geometry @ LACMA

This week I checked out the Beyond Geometry exhibit at LACMA and it was quite the experience. It features modern abstract art, which is my favorite kind. So as soon as I entered the Anderson building and my eyes beheld what was in there, I entered "the zone." I haven't been there for a while. I loved almost everything I saw. My eyes are automatically drawn to lines, so I love any artwork that has a strong presence of lines. My favorite artist is, after all, Piet Mondrian, who is all about fabulous lines. Hence, I was feasting on the multitudes of squares and rectangles of all proportions and dimensions that were displayed all around me. Oh, I how I adore those lines! Squares! Rectangles! Even the occasional triangle! I swear it felt like these paintings were making love to my eyes.


Another concept I'm drawn to in art is repetition and seriality. Maybe it's because I like to see order/organization/predictability. That's why I was so drawn to Andy Warhol's silkscreen paintings of repeated images of Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor. But this is not simply an unimaginative cut and paste approach. Artists make the serial/repetitive dynamic by inserting slight gradual changes or unique characteristics in each frame that thwarts the seemingly repetitive and/or predictable pattern.


Anyway, I haven't been this moved by an art exhibition in years. Beyond Geometry kicks ass!!! I definitely plan to go back for some more visual lovin'.


LACMA is open every day except on Wednesdays. Admission is free after 5pm.



::5 stars::