Thursday, December 29, 2005

EAT: Tango 8 Grill

There's finally an Argentine restaurant in Vancouver! It's about time. It's the only one I know of and I had lunch there today. I was quite impressed with their menu because I recognized almost all the dishes. It resembled any menu you would see at a restaurant in Buenos Aires.

I ordered gnocchi and you get to choose either tomato, alfredo, or creamy tomato sauce, so I chose the last one. Unfortunately, the gnocchi was overcooked. I also tried a bit of the tomato and onion salad which at first was flavorless, but after I added salt it was much better (the kitchen probably forgot to add it).

For dessert, I ordered churros (fried dough, like a doughnut), which comes with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. The whipped cream looked like Cool Whip to my dismay. I think it would be better if it was served with dulce de leche (caramel sauce) instead. The flan dessert, however, seemed pretty authentic to me.

I would love to go back and have dinner there. I took a look at their dinner menu and they offer more seafood dishes which I would like to try. Of course, they offer your standard Argentine barbecued beef entrees but since I don't eat meat I will not be reviewing those dishes. The beef is not from Argentina so I'm sure I would be disappointed anyway.

955 W. Broadway St. (between Oak and Laurel)
Vancouver, BC
604-736-8898