Friday, December 31, 2004

EAT: Rangoli

Lunch was had at Rangoli today in the South Granville area. It’s next to Vij’s whose chef is hot in the Vancouver restaurant scene right now according to my friend. The chef opened Rangoli as a more casual, trendy Indian restaurant that specializes in vacuum sealed food-to-go packets but of course you can sit down and have a delicious meal in one of their tiny tables which I loved because it reminded me of eating out in Buenos Aires where all the tables are small so you can have an intimate meal with someone or someones.

My friend and I ordered the portabello mushroom curry and a grilled tamarind chicken dish which came with rice, mixed greens, and daal. Both were delicious. The daal, however, was a bit disappointing. I think it was a little too plain. The naan is excellent, the best I’ve ever had, tasty and chewy.

So what you do is order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. The only bad thing is that we waited for what seemed like an eternity for our food to arrive so they sated us with some free naan and a spicy green sauce. The service is quite exceptional. The servers are all very friendly and eager to make your dining experience as pleasant as possible.

I have a feeling that I’ll be coming here often to pick up their to-go entrees on the nights that I don’t feel like cooking which will probably be many.

Most dishes $9 to $11.

1488 W. 11th Ave.
Vancouver, BC
604-736-5711

::4 stars::