Tuesday, January 29, 2008

EAT: Tonny's

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, the huevos rancheros served up at Tonny's was amazing. Huevos rancheros is my favorite Mexican dish, and if it's on the menu, I almost always order it. It's been a long time since I enjoyed huevos rancheros this yummy.

The eggs were smothered with a red sauce that did not disappoint, but tasted just right. Usually the red sauce is where most HR dishes fail. The mexican rice was cooked perfectly and seasoned just right to complement the beans. At most places I go the mexican rice is a letdown or mediocre at best. I don't like it when restaurants treat side dishes as an afterthought.

The chile verde (carnitas stir-fried in green sauce) comes well recommended. My friend ordered it and reported it was yummy.

Make sure to ask for corn tortillas rather than flour tortillas, as they are handmade. The tortillas come hot and soft and delicious. The complimentary chips and salsa, however, are nothing to write home about.

In addition to Mexican cuisine, Tonny's menu includes typical breakfast fare, sandwiches, and burgers.

Tonny's
843 E Orange Grove Blvd. (west of Lake Ave.)
Pasadena, CA 91104
626-797-0866


::4.5 stars::